Friday, June 8, 2007

Prompt

I threw out a word, and Myrtle Beach was on it "like a rat on a Cheeto" as my husband would say. . .

Music of the Night is a great poem (and I am not being generous here). He has a way with setting creative images to cadence that bring the subject alive. There is flow to his writing and an underlying smirk - as if the poems content was always there in the air - he just had to capture it and write it down.

I could see this poem being illustrated and put into a children's book, although the poem is a bit sophisticated for a child to read. Perhaps it would be best in a Poetry reader. This way, the poem could be read to the young child, create images in the mind, and expand the child's vocabulary all at the same time! Additionally, it is not so simplistic as some children's literature today, that it would bore the reader to tears. (I have often found myself - near crazed - while reading Seuss and other inane Children's literature to my children.)

5 comments:

myrtle beached whale said...

Thanks for the compliment, I think. I hadn't intended to gear that effort to children, but if you illustrate the book I will write the verses. Maybe we can make some money. But that was 10 minutes of my life I can never get back.
Hey, don't you dare diss Dr Seuss. "Oh the Places You'll Go" is one of my favorite books in the world. Next you will tell me you don't like Shel Silverstein's "The Giving Tree." If so, I don't think we can continue to be friends. LOL

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

Some of Seuss’ stuff is okay, like the one you mentioned. But the silly ones, I can’t stand – you know, the ones where he created his own creatures to make rhymes. I suppose he was trying to "relate" to young children, but I was a sophisticated first grader when I first read his stuff. It was fun to read, but I didn't like the illustrations or the strange creatures. (Creeped me out!)

Now I like some of Shel Silversteins writing, but I have only read some of his poems at my mother-in-laws house.

Looked up "The Giving Tree." I have read it, and it was a good story-poem. I liked the one he wrote about the girl named "---------Stout, who would not take the garbage out."

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

I forgot to mention, that I don't illustrate. My daughter M is the quintessential illustrator. She can do both cartoon and realistic drawing, where the rest of the family fall more one way or the other. The Hunk being the source of cartooning, and I the "real-life" sort of drawer.

Carol Woolum Roberts said...

Speaking of your mother-in-law, she was honored this year as the Kellogg School District's 2006-2007 "Friend of Education". They announced it on Wednesday at the school assembly at Sunnyside. All three of my girls always loved it when she came into their classrooms to read at Sunnyside. So, in case you didn't hear the news, I thought I would pass it along.

Also, so sorry about your bad experience at that school. It was an unfortunate decision made. Your poor daughter. Well, we have had our share of poor decisions made as well in schools, but I just try and make the best of it and move on...sometimes it isn't easy, though.

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

Thanks for the info on my m-i-l. She is an amazing woman - with energy to spare - even now I can't keep up with her.

She was nominated for Citizen of the Year by the city, but declined the nomination. (She really doesn't like to be in the spotlight - but loves children).

Yea, I wondered if I should have left my scathing comments about Sunnyside. (Maybe I was just bitter because my husband had been out of work, and we couldn't put the girls into private school.)

My Mother-in-Law was still teaching there at the time and that school was good to her and her family.

My oldest daughter won a cake decorating contest at some kind of carnival. . .I had forgotten about that until now.