Friday, August 24, 2007

Supervising & Quilting

Supervising

I have been replete with my blogging duties. I hit the ground running when I came home, doubling my hours at work and learning my new Supervisory Duties. It is so much fun, but it is taking a while for my body to get used to standing/running 32 hours a week. Ah, sometimes I pine for the young body I used to have, but I am thankful for Ibuprofen - that keeps the pain at bay. . .

Of course, when I was younger, we couldn't afford for me to work for such small pay. . .

For those who care. . .I have been learning how to "open," "close," stock, display, supervise, make deposits and do special orders. I have been put in charge of ordering "fleece" for the time being - which is no small job, since we sell numerous bolts of it every week. We have the largest and best selection in this area.

Yesterday, I listed the tasks I thought that needed to be done around the store as well as a few the store manager and other supervisor listed and assigned them to the day workers in addition to the regular tasks of cutting fabric and running the register. It was fun. I got to pitch in and help where I wanted, pulled some bolts of fleece off the storage wall shelves and put them out. We rearranged some Home Decor, put out new bolts of fabric, and moved around displays. We got a lot done the past 2 days.

Tonight I work the evening shift, which is usually less demanding - except when customers come in right before closing and are looking to outfit their new homes with curtains for various rooms. . . I am planning to take a quilting class in the morning to learn some of the new quilting techniques so I can better assist customers in that area.

Quilting

Most of my quilting expertise was learned growing up. During the summers, I would quilt with my mom, her sisters and their mother out in the shade next to Grandma's house. Most of the cutting, piecing (putting the smaller pieces of cloth together), and or embroidery (for quilts that had embroidered blocks) were already done. So I didn't do those things until later. I have made several quilts through the years of different kinds, but I want to learn more about cutting the fabric with the use of the cutting mat and various plastic guides that make the piecing quicker and the quilts more exact. (Growing up, we used cardboard for "patterns." My Grandma Smith made star quilts for each of her 40 something grandchildren, and traced her pattern over and over. Since there were several cousins between the ages of my sister and I, by the time she made my sister's quilt, the diamond pieces used to make the star had grown in size by nearly a third, making her star and her quilt much larger than mine.

When I was in my early 20s. I cut my "patterns" from clear lids to avoid the distortion one gets from using a cardboard pattern over and over. I would place the lid over the pattern and trace it with a permanent marker, then cut it out using industrial scissors. I was proud of my ingenuity, but my crude "patterns" are nothing compared to the precise pattern one can get from the factories these days. Additionally, I had to trace and cut each piece out individually, which was very time consuming (but I found rather relaxing.) With cutting mats, rotary cutters, and the plastic guides, one can cut several layers of fabric with one "swoosh" of the cutter, and cut 10s and 20s of a piece in the same time it used to take me to cut one - all without tracing anything.

But for now, I will go. Many things to do before work tonight. I have found it easier to catch up on reading blogs than writing - but I will try to do better on my day's off. . .

7 comments:

Carol Woolum Roberts said...

Sounds like lots of new things going on with your job. I'm glad you are looking forward to the challenge. Quilting sounds like such a great hobby. You'll have to post some pictures of your quilts some time.

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

Sad to say, I have given most of my quilts away to one person or another through the years. (Especially the Grandmother's flower garden that I stitched together by hand.) I actually shouldn't begrudge the loss, as I gave it to someone who really needed it, although I didn't know her very well.

I do have a few quilt tops in progress, and bought a backing for the one I worked on today. It may be awhile before I finish it, as I am repairing a young lady's worn quilt, and will be making a baby quilt for a new family member. Guess I could take pics of those - huh!

Christy Woolum said...

It sounds like this job that is just for you. How wonderful to be surrounded by bolts of fabric and fleece. Have fun with your quilting class.

raymond pert said...

It's good to have you back writing again. Your busy schedule will probably keep you from writing as often, but I'll keep checking in and hoping for another new piece of wit and insight.

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

IEG: I learned a lot about using the cutting mat and cutting wheel to make precision pieces. I didn't finish the quilt (there wasn't enough time), but I did buy a big enough piece of fabric to make it into a queen sized quilt later on.

RP: Thanks for the encouragement. I have been running and running, and after my shift today, I bypassed dinner in favor of a nap. . .3 hours. I need to get on a regular sleep schedule, but I blew that with the long nap today!

Anonymous said...

Whew! Sounds like on your day off, you'll be resting. I'm tired just reading about all you've been doing. Sounds like you're really enjoying it, though, and that's what makes it worth the time and effort. If only everyone could do something they loved - wouldn't that make for lots happier people!

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

I am enjoying it - for the most part. As I move up the chain, there are a lot more responsibilities - but some of them are more fun - like ordering fabric!